Sunday, November 4, 2007

Voc. Ed. in Atmautluak

It is difficult for a lot of the schools in rural Alaska to offer vocational programs. Buildings and equipment are expensive and qualified vocational teachers are at times hard to find, but now and then luck can be on the side of education.
Thanks to a grant a vocational instructor is “making the rounds” to a few villages in LKSD. I’m not exactly sure how the particular schools were chosen. All I know is that Atmautluak was one of them and will have a vocational program until around Thanksgiving.
Driver’s Education and Small Engine Repair will be offered. Originally, welding was to be offered as well. The students were to learn the trade using a simulator, but there was a problem getting the machine to Atmautluak. That is okay. If you can get two out of three things accomplished in the bush you are doing good.
The courses will not be based on the hours a student spends in a classroom as semester-based subjects are, but rather to receive high school credit one has to master the objectives of the class. Technically, they are like the district’s phase system – a type of standards-based curriculum.
These vocational opportunities will not take away from a student’s daily class schedule. It will only add to it. They are offered in the evenings and on Saturdays. This will also help the students be responsible and follow through on their decision. Oh, and I hear a few adults in the community would like to take part in Driver’s Ed. I assume they will have the chance. However, I don’t think I will be one of them.
As it is, people who have had the pleasure of riding with me while I’m behind the wheel probably wonder how I even survive when I’m driving by myself. They are not with me watching where I’m going (or to tell me where to go).
When I do have passengers, they usually have the seatbelt tight, hands securely gripped on the door handle or dashboard, and their eyes are looking out for me (or them?). I continue to be in awe at how large a person’s eyes can get and how much stress a heart can take. Anyway, I’d hate to sit through the class and be reminded of all my faults. For me, I don’t see the point. Besides, my license is still valid. Why mess that up?
I’m not sure if adults will be allowed to go through the Small Engine repair course. I didn’t ask. Maybe I should. Although I wouldn’t be the teacher, the students could learn a lot by having me work on an engine – mainly how not to fix it.
To say I’ll probably keep my distance from the classes and not be nosey would be like…well…lying. I know I won’t be able to resist checking out the equipment and engines, but I’ll try to keep in mind what my wife tells me when we go shopping. Whenever we enter a store “just to browse” that has items displayed on open shelves she states with a loving smile, “Look, but don’t touch anything.” She is keenly aware of how well coordinated I can be.
In regards to the small engine repair class - if I were to touch one of the engines that needed repair, I’d probably total it. It can happen with me and that’s no lie.

No comments: