Saturday, November 24, 2007

Seasonal Thoughts

I sure hope that your holiday season began with a large dead and delicious turkey on Thanksgiving and spending time with the ones you love. Did you put the shopping on the back burner – at least until the sales started – and actually talk to others during your family gatherings? Because a good, in-depth conversation affords you the opportunity to spread the joy of giving by letting people know exactly what you would like to receive.
Seriously though, the best gifts cannot be bought. They are free, never-ending, and very fulfilling. I’m referring to love and respect of your fellow neighbors. This includes the realization that everyone is different in his or her beliefs and personality, each have their own reasons for believing the way they do. However, sometimes things are taken too far.
Christmas vacations, feasts, and parties are now “Holiday” vacations, feasts, and parties. Celebrating the Birth of our Lord may be dwindling, but by golly the commercial aspect is still there. Exchange of gifts will take place as always. I’m not knocking the giving at all. I too take part in buying things for others and receiving gifts as well, but I do my best not to lose sight of what Christmas truly means to my family and me.
A recent article I ran read on the Internet centered on the objection of Santas using the phrase, “Ho, Ho, Ho.” Apparently, it seems that some people have the idea that the young kids who sit on Santa’s lap will immediately think that Santa is referring to prostitutes when he says, “Ho, Ho, Ho.” Instead, it was suggested that they use “ha, ha, ha” in place of “Ho, Ho, Ho.” I guess they figure it is better to laugh at kids (ha, ha, ha) than speak the universally recognized “Ho, Ho, Ho” which, by the way, is an interjection used to express joy or surprise.
I’ve seen articles that are banning Christmas cards in schools. It deals mostly with the religious aspect of cards, but one school came up with a lame reason. They said that it was best for the kids to make one big card together. That way kids don’t “waste paper on lots of little ones.” Thus, they are saving trees and doing their environmental duty. I think that one big impersonalized card would use just as much paper as several small personal, loving, expressive cards addressed and given to the ones they love.
There are other things that are stir controversy, but none more than when religion, politics, and money come into play. Christmas time seems to incorporate all three of them. That makes it a hot and vulnerable topic.
Christmas is considered a holiday and people celebrate this time of year in various ways. If someone wishes to display crosses and manger scenes around their home or have a menorah in full view, then that is their right. We don’t have to conform or change our ways. If a person does not wish to take part in a school play or eat certain foods that is also their right. Let’s not judge or punish personal beliefs that are perfectly legal.
It is impossible to make everyone happy. I’ve tried for years. The impossible is apparently built into my character, as I will most likely continue trying to please everyone. However, in doing so I won’t compromise my personal beliefs – and I don’t expect others to either.
This is still America and whether you agree or not, it will always be a Nation that was founded under God. We have (and He allows us) the freedom to believe or not believe in a higher power. So let us keep the freedom and not impose policies and laws that hinder our inalienable rights.

No comments: