Monday, November 12, 2007

Lore Learning

The other day we were clearing Yupik(the Eskimo language in our area of Alaska)books and materials off a shelving unit in my classroom. The items were being moved to one of the Yupik First Language rooms in another building. During the ruckus one of the special education aids found a few copies of a very interesting and enlightening book. She set them on my desk to show me.
I immediately picked one up and thumbed through it.
You old-timers may remember the work and even may have had a hand in putting the book together. I think it is fantastic. It is titled, “Yupik Lore – Yuut Qanemciit, Oral Traditions of an Eskimo People – Yupiit Cayaraita Qanrutkumallrit.”
The copies are blue, hard back, first editions published by the Lower Kuskokwim School District in 1981. The books are filled with over 250 pages of stories collected by Bethel Regional High School Students between 1975 and 1980. The students had taped Elders from Bethel and surrounding villages as they told stories of Eskimo history, culture, customs, Eskimo know-how, myths, legends, and plain short stories. These were then collected, transcribed and organized in a book. “Yupik Lore…” appeals to gussaq's (white man) as well as natives; even numbered pages are written in Yupik while the odd numbered pages have the English translation. You open the book and have the same information in two languages. Not bad.
As always, if one takes the time to listen – really listen – to an Elder a lot can be learned about how generations survived in the unforgiving bush. The book is interesting. Below are some things that were written and what I learned.
I now know how to get rid of a ghost by placing my hand on its head and with only the weight of my arm to push it into the ground. If I use any force the ghost will just pop back up. Hope I never have to use this.
Spears, bows, and arrows were the way to catch game at one time. It was more physical and intricate than using a gun. I’d starve.
Aged urine was used to wash clothes. Then they’d rinse them with water. It stated that “They got just as clean as if they had been washed in soapy water. ”(p. 135)
Of course fur and skin clothing and footwear was all the rage at the time. In fact, it was the only style of the day, and for good reason. I own a hat made from beaver fur. My head has sweated when I’ve worn it outside in 20 below weather.
Food was scarce, but more nutritious in those days. People were careful not to waste food. It was a huge chore to go out and fish, trap, and hunt to feed a family. Things changed. The “…diet now includes white man’s food, (and people) act as if they don’t have to be too careful about food” because “Today people act as though everything were readily available to them…” (p. 111). I believe there is truth in that statement.
A neat winter survival tip I learned on page 139 was that if you fall through the ice and into water then “dip your hat or mitten in the water and then slam it hard on the ice. When it stuck to the ice (you) could use it for support and get yourself out.” The writing also advised to drink urine to warm you or someone else up that is freezing.
These are only a few of the many, many tricks of the Eskimo captured forever in a superb book. There is so much more information hiding in the pages. I haven’t finished reading it yet, but will. The trick for this gussaq is to remember the valuable advice if I ever need it.

1 comment:

alisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.