Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween Happenings

(Will be published on Halloween 10/31/07 in the Delta Discovery Newspaper)

Happy Halloween Everyone!
Each new village I move to has their own way of recognizing this scary time. I hadn’t really thought about what would be going on that day, but leave it to the students to remind me.
A week or so ago I noticed some Halloween artwork displayed in classrooms and the hallways. I began to feel my students were left out and it was my fault. Therefore, I started planning some activities that would bring my classroom up to par with the others.
Soon there were a few things on the wall. That was a beginning.
The next day a couple of my students asked me, in as few words as humanly possible, “What you Halloween?” I said, “What.” They repeated, “What you Halloween?” Again, I responded, “What?” It wasn’t that I couldn’t hear them; I wanted to make sure my almost deaf ears were listening correctly. I resorted to asking one of the teacher aids what they had said. She told me they had said, “What you Halloween?” I’ll never learn to just keep my mouth shut. Finally I got what they were asking. Translation: do I have a costume and what is it? You gotta love their vocabulary. I do.
I told them that I was born in my costume and grew scarier over the years. That got a laugh, but it didn’t satisfy them. In reality I had no idea. I wasn’t planning on wearing a costume. So, I guess I’ll go to school dressed as a teacher on Halloween. That will teach them.
At a staff meeting last week the issue of a Halloween Carnival was on the agenda. We had wondered what, if anything, would take place. From my understanding (which I hope is right) the Atmautluak Tribal Council will host a costume and a pumpkin-carving contest amid some games and other activities at the school. There isn’t a door-to-door trick or treat. Instead, the whole community gathers in the school gym after the event and forms a line. Everyone goes down the line with a bag to trick or treat. Each person puts something in the bag. It sounds good and I would imagine keeps safety in check and gets everyone home at a reasonable hour.
One of the new teachers asked how many would be there? We were told that there could be 200 – 250 people. I immediately wondered to myself if I had enough candy, but that thought was put to rest when another teacher spoke. Apparently others were thinking the same thing. He suggested that you be one of the first to go through the line collecting goodies. Then you simply stand back in line and hand out the candy that you got. He provided us with a good laugh and solved my problem in the process.
I’m looking forward to experiencing this community’s way of celebrating Halloween. However, November 1st is a school day and the buildings will be full of kids on a “sugar high.” Am I a happy camper about that? You bet – because I’ll be on the same high. It will be sweet!

No comments: