Saturday, September 8, 2007

How/why I Ended up in Alaska and Helpful Educator Links

Last century - 1996 to be exact we traveled to Fairbanks, Alaska to visit my sister. I had just started teaching in Texas, but instantly was turned on to the vastness and beauty of The Last Frontier.
We had a blast for that summer week. There was the overnight fishing trip on an isolated lake accessible by float plane only. The tourist paddle boat trip. The six hour car trips to Valdez and Anchorage. I made the decision at that time to look into the teaching opportunities that were available.
I began at the Alaska's State Education Department's web site, www.eed.state.ak.us/. There is a world of information on certification, the State Education Standards, and etc.
If you care to see what is available then go to the University of Alaska Fairbanks teacher placement web site at www.alaskateacher.org. You will find the latest openings, Alaska district's web sites, a State-Wide application that can be submitted online, and various other information. They also host two summer job fairs in Alaska and a couple of them in the Lower 48.
I attended a job fair in 1997 and then in June 1998. I'm not underqualified at all. I just don't interview well. July 1998 I was offered a job in Rural Alaska.
I ended up on the flat tundra void of trees and mountains. At first I wanted to get back on the plane thinking how I really screwed up, but then (with the "encouragement" of my wife) I decided to give it a chance. I am so glad I did. For the most part it has been great.
The schools are small. The class sizes aren't much larger than a dozen. You don't have to dress up for work. And the people are so friendly. Yes, you will get a few bad apples, but the good outweighs the bad.
It isn't for everyone, but Rural Alaska could always use teachers that will stick around.
Feel free to email me if you'd like to. I love to answer questions and promote Bush Teaching.
Have a great day everyone!

No comments: