Friday, September 21, 2007

A Fall Theory

The Fall season is almost officially among us. Don’t exactly know what that means in these parts of the tundra. When I peer out my window all I see are clouds and rain. It has been that way for a month. Step outside and the wind is added to the equation. I haven’t quite figured out the answer to how one can call this particular type of weather Fall, but I do have a theory.
Based on the world of astronomy seasons are determined by either the equinox or the solstices. In the world of Kip it is based on observation and logical explanations.
The sun is known to rise and set daily. Maybe not in the uppermost northern hemisphere, but it does elsewhere. Here the sun just “Falls” this time of year – and falls and falls…
It is the same with the rain. It Falls – constantly.
The wind? I believe that it has fulfilled its part beautifully. Without the wind blowing summer away, we’d still be stuck in that gorgeous time of fishing the rivers and picking wild berries on the tundra. No one wants that.
With wet, slippery boardwalks and metal gratings we tend to fit right into the season. We Fall.
Let’s not forget the clouds. They are full with precipitation. This makes them very heavy. No high dry puffs of cirrus clouds here. We are blessed with obese white blobs that Fall close to earth.
It is just a weird time of year. We tend to say, “Well, summer’s over.” Or we look to the future and blurt out, “Winter is coming.”
We plainly forget that there is a Fall season. There aren’t any multi-colored leaves on almost treeless tundra to gauge the season. What we have here is a calendar that states Fall has begun because we passed the solstice. Therefore, one has to look at the obvious signs of nature as I have.
Granted, my theory may be unfounded and based on looking through drowned windows and wet eyeglass lenses, but it works for me. But don’t you worry; it won’t be something I will pass on to my students. I’m obligated to teach the approved curriculum and state education standards.
However, if the State Board of Education ever decides to go with my theory I will be more than happy not to take the credit. My career would Fall…and fall…and fall.

No comments: